Below are the easy steps to creating and sharing a folder on a Windows 7 system to be accessed from a Ubuntu 9.10 system, on the same network:
- On your Windows 7 system, create a new folder or locate an existing folder to be shared.
- Right click the folder and choose “Share With” “Specific People…”.
- Type the user account of a user that has local rights on the Windows 7 Machine that you are using.
- Change the permissions level on the right accordingly.
- Click the “Share” button then click “Done”
- On your Ubuntu 9.10 system, click on “Places” then “Computer”
- In the “Location” field, type “smb://username@IPAddress/share” Username = the username of your Windows 7 account you specified.
- Press the “Enter” key on your keyboard and when prompted enter the password of your Windows 7 user account.
- At that point the shared folder should be mounted on your Ubuntu 9.10 desktop and should show up under “Places”
IPAddress = the IP address of your Windows 7 Computer.
Share = the name of the shared folder on your Windows 7 Computer.
John "Mike" Wright