Below are the easy steps to creating and sharing a folder on a Ubuntu 9.10 system to be accessed from a Windows 7 system, on the same network:
- On your Ubuntu 9.10 system, create a new folder or locate an existing folder to be shared.
- Right click the folder and choose “Sharing Options”.
- Check the “Share this folder” box.
- Check the “Allow others to create and delete files in this folder” and “Guest access” boxes IF you want those features.
- Click the “Create Share” button.
- Click the “Add the permissions automatically” button
- If prompted to install Ubuntu components, do so, accepting the defaults, and restart your Ubuntu system if prompted.
- On your Windows 7 system, type the UNC path of your Ubuntu 9.10 system in the “run” field. You can see this by clicking the “Start” button. Type “\\IPAddress\share”
- Press the enter key and you will be prompted for a username and password of your Ubuntu 9.10 user account.
- After you have entered your credentials the folder will open and its contents displayed.
IPAddress = the IP Address of your Ubuntu 9.10 computer.
Share = the name of the shared folder on your Ubuntu 9.10 computer.
Example = \\220.127.116.11\pictures
John "Mike" Wright