Below are the easy steps to creating and sharing a folder on a Windows 7 system to be accessed from a Ubuntu 10.04 system, on the same network:
1. On your Windows 7 system, create a new folder or locate an existing folder to be shared.
2. Right click the folder and choose “Share With” “Specific People…”.
3. Type the user account of a user that has local rights on the Windows 7 Machine that you are using.
4. Change the permissions level on the right accordingly.
5. Click the “Share” button then click “Done”
6. On your Ubuntu 10.04 system, right click on your desktop and choose "Create Launcher.”
7. In the “Type” field, choose "Location"
8. In the "Name" field, type a name for your share.
9. In the "Location" filed, type “smb://username@IPAddress/share”
Username = the username of your Windows 7 account you specified.
IPAddress = the IP address of your Windows 7 Computer.
Share = the name of the shared folder on your Windows 7 Computer.
10. Click the "OK" button and when prompted enter the password of your Windows 7 user account.
11. At that point the shared folder should be mounted on your Ubuntu 10.04 desktop and should show up under “Places”
John "Mike" Wright