For reasons unknown to me, during the installation of Windows 8 Enterprise (from Technet), you are not prompted to enter in your Windows Key. This may be on other versions too, I do not have other versions to test. Once Windows 8 is installed you are prompted to Activate Windows and you see the nag text in the lower right corner. There does not seem to be an easy "click here" way to enter in your correct product key. But, if you follow the below steps, you will be able to enter your key easy enough and active your Windows 8 installation.
- Press the "Windows Key" on your keyboard which will bring you to the "Modern" menu.
- Type "cmd" and you will see "Command Prompt" displayed on the left side of your screen.
- "Right Click" "Command Prompt" and on the bottom of your screen choose "Run as Administrator".
- Click "Yes" on the User Access Control warning screen.
- At the command prompt screen type "slmgr.vbs -ipk PRODUCT KEY". It should look something like "slmgr.vbs -ipk 11111-22222-33333-44444-55555". Press "Enter"
- You should now be prompted that the product key was installed successfully, if not your key is invalid, you typed it wrong, or you forgot to include the dashes. I suggest you copy and paste.
- Next, still at the command prompt, typ "slmgr.vbs -ato" and press "Enter".
- You should now be prompted that Windows was successfully activated.
John "Mike" Wright